Kale is one of the most nutritionally dense leafy greens. I have eaten kale lightly steamed, sautéed, massaged, and in smoothies. Lately, however, I have been getting bored with Kale and started looking for a new fun way to eat it. Cue Caesar Salad. I love caesar salad but know its one of the less healthy salad options due to the heavy dressing, croutons, and lack of nutrition in iceberg lettuce.
So, i decided to combine the two and made myself a Kale Caesar Salad and I am obsessed! By adding Kale and making my own dressing and croutons, I am able to have my Caesar Salad while keeping it as clean as possible.
Try it! It will make you love Kale all over again.
- 6 cups of 1-inch diced rustic bread (ciabatta or Italian loaf)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
If croutons aren’t your thing, try adding sliced Almonds instead!
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar (can sub apple cider vinegar)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan (use vegetarian Parmesan for vegetarian option)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups kale leaves (lightly packed), ribs removed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 large head romaine lettuce hearts, cut in half lengthwise, and then cut in half again lengthwise, then cut crosswise on a diagonal, to 1-inch wide strips
- 4 Tbsp grated Parmesan
1 Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Spread bread cubes out in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Place in oven and bake until golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Toss while still warm in a bowl with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
2 Place the vinaigrette ingredients into a blender or food processor. Purée until smooth.
3 Place the chopped kale and romaine leaves into a large bowl. Add the dressing and massage with your (clean) hands until the salad is well dressed. (Massaging the kale with your hands helps soften the leaves.) Add the croutons and the Parmesan cheese.