With all of the secret potions of youth around, most people don’t think to look at getting their youth from a plain old vitamin.
”But getting enough Vitamin C is a powerful way to slow down the aging process”
In fact, a deficiency in Vitamin C can not only rapidly increase signs of aging externally, but can lead to chronic conditions of aging internally. Signs of deficiency include bleeding gums, bruising easily, and low iron levels.
Consider the following benefits of Vitamin C:
- It rejuvenates the skin
- As a powerful antioxidant, Vitamin C clears toxins out of your body to promote collagen regeneration for smooth radiant skin.
- It strengthens your immune system
- Vitamin C is the main nutrient that aids in the production of disease fighting antibodies, battling viruses, bacteria
- It fights cancer cells
- Recent research is suggesting high dose Vitamin C can shrink tumor cells
- It promotes healthy brain function
- Protecting the brain from oxidative stress, Vitamin C is also utilized in the production of the vital neurotransmitter dopamine, necessary for focus and mental clarity.
What are the best sources of Vitamin C?
- Citrus fruits including oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruits
- Other fruits such as strawberries, kiwi, pineapple, cantaloupe, raspberries, and papaya.
Tip: Remember to use the zest and flesh, as peels contain five to 10 times more vitamins than the fruit itself (just make sure the fruit is organic so you are avoiding harmful herbicides and pesticides laden on the outside layer of conventional fruits)
- Leafy greens, red and orange bell peppers, carrots, and summer and winter squash.
When is it time to supplement?
- Aim for 2000mg of Vitamin C per day
- Add buffered Vitamin C powder to your morning smoothie for an extra boost
- Another option for increasing this anti-aging nutrient is to super charge it by making an appointment for an IV infusion at The Akasha Center. This can be especially beneficial for those looking to build your body’s defense against disease and inflammation. Infusions can help to reduce illness, fatigue, allergies, and more (especially in those who are healing their gut, where the capsules and supplements they take orally may not be readily absorbed in their system).
Amanda Miller MS, RN is a Clinical Integrative Nutrition Nurse Consultant at the Akasha Center. She specializes in creating tailor-made integrative nutrition plans for her patients. Contact (310) 451-8880 or e-mail email@example.com to schedule an appointment with her!