Burning fat and promoting brain health all in one sound too good to be true? The November Nutrient-of-the-month, Acetyl- L-Carnitine does this and then some.
Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALCAR) is probably the biggest reason why I love the Akasha Naturals supplement Cereguard – but let me tell you WHY.
Amino Acids, the building blocks of proteins, play a crucial role in the body by helping to generate energy – but some play an even more critical part, depending on your individual requirements. ALCAR specifically aids your mitochondria, the powerhouses of our cells.
- Boosts Brain Power: The Acetyl group on the end of L-Carnitine allows it to pass your blood-brain-barrier, reaching your brain and nerves.
- Cognition & Memory: Studies have shown it to positively impact cognition and memory, possibly preventing age related decline (1).
- More Mental & Physical Energy: One study showed a significant boost in mental and physical energy in elderly populations that took ALCAR (8).
- Lowers Inflammation: ALCAR increases glutathione, your body’s powerhouse antioxidant and liver supporter. This acts to decrease free radical damage in the brain, but also in other parts of the body (9). By lowering inflammation, it can play a role in preventing neurological chronic diseases such as alzheimer’s, parkinson’s, dementia, etc.
- Promotes healthy circulation: In healthy adults, ALCAR increased blood circulation after a healthful high fat meal. This is essential to promote brain activity (10).
- Improves focus: ALCAR has been shown to improve focus in both children with ADHD and in adults with chronic fatigue (11, 12).
- Regulates Blood Sugar:
- Research has shown supplementation with L-Carnitine could aid in maintaining stable blood sugar levels, fighting off insulin resistance. In fact, infusing diabetic patients with L-Carnitine has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity and increase the uptake of glucose from the bloodstream (2).
- Promotes Fat Loss:
- When combined with personalized diet and exercise regimens, many studies have found that supplementing with L-Carnitine can be an effective way to enhance fat loss. Study participants found a notably larger drop in body mass index compared to a control group (3, 4). This is likely because L-Carnitine shuttles fuel to your mitochondria, aiding in fat burning and energy expenditure during physical activity (5).
- Increases Energy and Endurance
- Many use L-Carnitine for bodybuilding and athletic performance for its energy enhancing abilities. It has been found in studies to increase the time it takes to get to exhaustion, making it especially powerful for endurance athletes (6).
- Prevents Muscle Damage
- For those looking to prevent and protect against muscle damage after a workout, L-Carnitine plays an important role. Studies have shown it to decrease blood markers of muscle damage after vigorous exercise (7).
Healthful Food Sources:
- Grass-Fed Beef
- Wild Caught Cod
- Grass-Fed Whole Milk
- Pasture Raised Chicken Breast
Practitioners at the Akasha Center suggest Cereguard for supplementation of ALCAR. Especially for Akasha’s vegan patients and athletes, ALCAR can be a valuable addition to a daily supplement regimen. Those looking to “bio-hack” their health and promote anti-aging can also benefit.
A good place to start is about 1 gram per day. From there, you can increase or decrease slowly depending on your specific required benefit and tolerance.
For Anti-Aging: 1g in am, 1g in pm
For fitness & fat burning: 1g 90 mins before exercise, 1 g after exercise
**As always with adding any supplements to your regimen make sure to consult with your Primary Care Practitioner before you do to make sure it is a good fit for you and your health. Those with seizure disorders or underactive thyroids need to be especially careful.
At The Akasha Center, I work with patients’ specific goals to help them find a diet and supplement plan catered to their individual needs. Come see me or send me an email if interested!
5. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3784205/ 6. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24263659