Even if you have absolutely no gut issues, you need to hear about the endless health benefits of l-glutamine and the substantial impact our Akasha Naturals product GI Align will have on your overall health!
L-glutamine is an amino acid, a building block of protein used by the body in large amounts by various biological processes. Of important note, regulating kidney and immune function, in the maintenance of the integrity of the gut lining, and as a fuel source for cellular metabolism.
This allows L-glutamine to be beneficial for the following:
1. Improving gastrointestinal health
- Glutamine helps to support IBS and diarrhea by regulating mucus production in the GI tract, balancing bowel movements (1).
2. Helps to heal leaky gut and stomach ulcers
- In clinical studies, L-glutamine has been shown to heal leaky gut. A studypublished in the Lancet found that supplementing with L-glutamine decreased intestinal permeability, a major cause of chronic gut infections, skin conditions, anxiety, and more (2).
- In further studies, L-glutamine has been shown to improve stomach ulcers and heal the damage caused by a chronic infection called H.Pylori (3).
- Furthermore, an animal study in the British Journal of Surgery found that L-glutamine improves symptoms of ulcerative colitis and inflammatory bowel disease (4).
- **if you are concerned you have leaky gut, ask your practitioner to test for it during your next appointment! If indeed you do have leaky gut, L-glutamine is THE essential amino acid you need to help repair it!
3. Aids in brain function
- As L-glutamine is a precursor for glutamate, an essential nutrient for brainhealth. A disruption in the L-glutamine/glutamate cycle can result in brain abnormalities such as schizophrenia, anxiety, depression, addiction issues, epilepsy, and more (5).
- L-glutamine can also prevent aging since the glutamate cycle is important in mitochondrial function in the brain.
4. Improves muscle growth and prevents muscle wastin
- Supplementing with L-glutamine gives your muscles the ability to pushharder, boosting strength and aiding in the repair of skeletal muscle. This can reduce recovery time (6).
- Since glutamine levels drop significantly after a hard workout, it isimportant to replenish your body adequately to support recovery and replenish the body’s energy stores
5. Improves muscle growth and prevents muscle wasting
- According to certain studies, glutamine supplementation can result in an increase in human growth hormone. This leads to an increase in resting metabolic rate, improving the caloric burn post exercise. This is essential for burning fat and building lean muscle (7).
- Current research shows L-glutamine helps to suppress insulin levels and stabilize blood sugar (8). In fact, “6 weeks of supplementation with 30g per day of glutamine powder markedly improved some cardiovascular risk factors, as well as body composition, in patients with type 2 diabetes” (9).
6. Burns fat and improves diabetic risk factors
- Since L-glutamine plays a major role supporting detoxification, it acts as abuffer to convert excess ammonia, a metabolic waste product, into otheruseful compounds (10).
- Supplementing with L-glutamine is especially important for athletes sinceit is required during exercise. L-glutamine can decrease by as much as 40% after just 1 hour of exercise. The boost in immune function L-glutamine gives allows for proper recovery and reduces the stresses caused by exercise (11).
So can we get L-glutamine from our diets? Here are the top sources:
- Bone broth
- Grass-fed beef
- Chinese cabbage
- Grass-fed Cottage cheese
- Broccoli rabe
- Wild-caught fish (cod and salmon)
However, with millions of Americans suffering from gut issues, its apparent that our diets are severely lacking in nutrients that support GI integrity. For those who could use the extra boost, supplementing with L-glutamine can be highly beneficial. A supplement such as GI Align could be taken twice a day for those suffering with IBS, SIBO, or gut dysbiosis.
Whenever I feel I’ve had a slip up with my nutrition, maybe having one too many margaritas with friends or indulging in dessert, I always give my gut lining some support over the next few days.to allow for repair. I’ll add 1-2 scoops of GI align to my morning smoothie for about a week as long as I feel it is needed to repair from the inflammation.