You’ve been SO good the whole year, eating clean nutrient dense foods, working out 3+ days a week, working more on your mindset & self care routine through meditation and gratitude journaling.
Akasha is proud of you!
So, you decide to treat yourself this holiday season – You try a slice… or two of your Aunt’s apple pie, you have one too many cocktails with friends, you are living and enjoying your life!
Akasha is still proud of you!
Living an Akasha lifestyle is NOT about depriving yourself and missing out on life experiences or being hard on yourself after a fun night out.
It is about a general anti-inflammatory lifestyle that is maintained throughout the year so that when you do decide to treat yourself, you aren’t completely offsetting all of the work you did the entire year. You also aren’t putting yourself down or getting into negative self talk, causing you to fall completely off into a 3 week binge-eating frenzy. (hence why “dieting” just doesn’t work!)
So here are a few tips to get you back on track after one too many drinks or one too many cookies this holiday season:
*And if you REALLY want to cleanse and reset with Akasha guidance, reach out to me for a 21-day mind-body experience by doing The Akasha Reset Program
1. Eat strict Anti-Inflammatory for 3-5 days.
This includes no dairy, no grains or corn, no packaged or processed foods, no coffee or alcohol, no vegetable oils, no soy. Eat all organic produce & pasture raised 100% grass fed meat & wild caught fish.
○ Generally this looks like consuming only whole foods throughout the day – fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, and healthful oils
- Healthful oils for cooking: avocado oil, coconut oil or MCT oil, ghee, sesame oil
- Healthful oils for VERY low heat or salad dressing: olive oil, macadamia nut oil, flaxseed oil
- Inflammatory oils to avoid: canola, sunflower/safflower, soybean, corn, peanut,
- This means consuming your meals at home or having some sort of meal delivery service. So make sure you are prepared for this!
2. Consume a Liver Supporting, nutrient dense shake per day
- Vital Meal is a great choice to support phase 1 and phase 2 of liver detoxificationas well as providing your system with nutrient dense ingredients to support yourcells
- You can also use another liver detox support such as Akasha Naturals Liver Detox
3. Hydration! A long night of eating and/or drinking too much can be very dehydrating to your cells.
- First thing after you wake up, support your cells by hydrating yourself with not just purified water, but purified water with MINERALS!
- Minerals are my favorite tip to help my patients hydrate. Our cells work across an osmotic membrane so they need minerals along with the water to actually penetrate the cell membrane
- Add a squeeze of lemon or lime to your water along with a pinch of celtic sea salt or redmond’s real salt. There are also other mineral drop supplements an Akasha practitioner can recommend for you.
- You can also buy a great brand of mineral rich spring water such as Mountain Valley or Gerolsteiner
4. Add in liver supporting foods, herbs, and spices to your daily recipes or to your shake:
- Green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, kale, and collards – Bonus tips for dandelion or watercress!
- Cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, cabbage, asparagus, cauliflower, andbrussels sprouts
- Celery and celery seeds
- Purple and blue colored foods for antioxidants: blueberries, beets, pomegranate
- Sea Vegetables &/or Chlorella/Spirulina
- Green Tea
- White willow bark
- Maritime Pine Bark
- Chilli peppers
- Frankincense or boswellia
Sweating is a great way to support the body’s detoxification system after a long night. Here are a few of my favorite ways to sweat, but you can choose your favorite way
- Hot yoga
- A long hike
- Infrared Sauna
Yes, breathing aids the body in detoxification – how? we expel impurities and toxins THROUGH our breath. How cool is that?! Oxygen helps the body absorb vitamins, nutrients, and minerals more effectively. When you practice deep rhythmic breathing, the diaphragm expands. It relaxes the body, and massages your lymphatic system which helps in the elimination of toxins. If you aren’t breathing deeply or moving on a regular basis your lymphatic fluids become stagnant, which essentially blocks the system from eliminating waste effectively.
- Here is my favorite breathwork exercise found from expand-a-lung.com
- Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge behind your upper teeth and exhalecompletely through your mouth so that you make a whoosh sound. Close your mouth and inhale deeply through your nose for a count 4, hold your breath for 7 counts, then exhale through your mouth for a count of 8. Repeat three times.
Amanda Miller, MS, RN, is a Clinical Integrative Nutritionist at the Akasha Center for Integrative Medicine. You can schedule an appointment with her by calling 310-451-8880 or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.