Being possibly one of the most important nutrients when it comes to heart health, Coenzyme Q10 bouts significant benefits to every cell in the body. As an antioxidant, COQ10 protects cells from oxidative damage and aging. In its active form, it is used for supplying cells with energy, transporting electrons and regulating blood pressure.
Declining COQ10 levels has been associated with cognitive decline, diabetes, fibromyalgia, cancer, and heart disease. This decline is particularly worse for those taking statin medications since statins reduce an enzyme in the liver that not only decreases the production of cholesterol but also lowers the natural production of COQ10. Therefore, COQ10 supplementation is absolutely essential for this subset of the population.
Looking at COQ10’s role in the body:
- Sustaining natural energy
- It plays a role in synthesizing mitochondrial ATP which is the conversion of energy from food
- Reducing free radical damage
- Oxidative damage plays an important role in the functional decline that occurs from cellular aging
- Improving heart health
- Current studies suggest COQ10’s role in preventing and treating heart conditions
- Helping to maintain pH homeostasis
- Transports proteins across cellular membranes and separating digestive enzymes helping the body to achieve optimal pH balance.
- Protecting cognition
- Plays a role in reducing oxidative stress on the brain
- Improving Male infertility
- COQ10 supplementation has been shown to improve sperm count and motility
- Managing symptoms of fibromyalgia
- Helping to reduce overall pain symptoms and improve function
Where to get COQ10:
Although the body has the ability to synthesize its own COQ10, production naturally declines as we age (1), just when we need more help defending our cells from radical oxidative damage. This means we can all benefit from consuming COQ10 both from natural sources in our diet and from high quality integrative supplementation.
COQ10 Rich Foods:
- Rainbow Trout
- Grass fed beef
- Sesame Seeds
- Pasture raised chicken
- Pasture raised eggs
. Fill your plate with those sources of COQ10 while also considering supplementation so you can prevent cellular degeneration as you age!